Chia Seeds 101
Loaded with filling fiber, bone-building calcium and heart-healthy omega-3 fats, these ancient seeds are well deserving of their recent superfood status. Chia seeds are basically tasteless, making them a terrific addition to your morning bowl of oats or lunchtime salad. When combined with liquid, these super absorbent seeds develop a gelatinous texture that’s perfect for pudding and smoothies. And get this - unlike flaxseed, chia seeds don’t have to be ground prior to eating in order to reap all the health benefits! Here are 10 easy ways to get your daily dose of this tiny nutritional powerhouse.
- Stir a tablespoon of chia into ½ cup of Greek yogurt. Layer with a handful of blueberries and a bit of granola for a delicious parfait in seconds.
- Add a teaspoon of chia and a squeeze of fresh lime juice to your water bottle to re-energize after a tough workout.
- Stir together ½ cup of chocolate soy milk, 2 tablespoons of chia, a drizzle of pure maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon. Allow the mixture to sit overnight for easy, healthy chocolate pudding in the morning.
- Toss cauliflower florets with a bit of olive oil and a small handful of chia seeds prior to roasting for a more filling side dish.
- Forget the egg! For an easy vegan egg substitute, mix together one tablespoon of chia seeds and three tablespoons of water. Set aside to gel and use as you would a real egg in your baking recipes.
- For a filling breakfast that will last you till lunchtime, combine ⅓ cup of old-fashioned oats, 1 ripe banana, a tablespoon of chia, a cup of unsweetened almond milk and a dash of cinnamon in a medium pot. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer over medium-low heat for 5-6 minutes. Top with another sprinkle of chia for extra oomph!
- Thicken gravy, sauces and soup instantly by adding a tablespoon of chia.
- Add 2 tablespoons of chia to your next batch of granola for extra staying power.
- Amp up your morning cereal routine by adding a teaspoon or two of chia to the mix.
- Give your juice a fiber boost by adding in a teaspoon of chia before chugging.