Almond Pastry Puff
This impressive, bakery-inspired morning treat is full of decadent, almond-rich flavor – and, it’s surprisingly simple to whip up!
Serves: 12Prep: 40 minutesCook: 50 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened and divided
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. water, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine 1 cup flour and ½ cup butter. Using a fork, combine until mixture resembles crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons water; stir with fork to form soft dough.
- Divide dough in half. On prepared baking sheet, use damp hands to pat each dough half into a 12”x3” rectangle.
- In saucepan, combine remaining ½ cup butter and 1 cup water; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Stir in flour and 1 teaspoon almond extract. Cook about 1 minute or until mixture pulls away from sides of pan and forms ball.
- Remove from heat. Stir in eggs, one at a time, until mixture is smooth. Spread mixture evenly over dough rectangles.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until golden brown and puffed. Place pan on wire rack to cool at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make glaze, combine powdered sugar and remaining ½ teaspoon almond extract. Spread over pastry and sprinkle with almonds.