Ensalada de Nopales (Fresh Cactus Salad)
Perfect for a vegetarian appetizer or side dish, this nopales (cactus) salad is quick, easy and refreshing. Pair it with your favorite main course for a well-rounded dinner.
Serves: 4Prep: 23 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 33 minutes
- 3 cups fresh, thorn-less cactus paddles, cut into ½”x3” strips
- 3⁄4 cup plus ¼ cup red onion, julienned
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons pickled jalapeños or serrano peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup plus ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup Kroger Brand Natural Grated Part Skim Milk Cheese Queso Cotija
- In non-stick skillet over medium-low heat, cook cactus strips, covered, about 10 minutes, until all juices have evaporated. Chill in refrigerator 15 minutes.
- In medium bowl, gently mix together cactus, ¾ cup onion, tomatoes, peppers, oregano, ¾ cup cilantro, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper.
- To serve, decorate salad with avocado slices, remaining onion and cilantro and cotija cheese.