Grilled Zucchini Halloumi Skewers
If you don’t have a mandolin or vegetable peeler, you can also cut the zucchini into halfmoons for these delicious – and totally picturesque – grilled veggie and cheese skewers. If Halloumi isn't available try a block of Queso Fresco or Feta cheese.
Serves: 4Prep: 30 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 zucchinis, washed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces halloumi, cut into 16 cubes
- 1 red onion, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Queso Fresco Natural Crumbling, if desired
- Feta Cheese, if desired
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Oil the grill grates. Soak 8 bamboo skewers in water at least 20 minutes.
- Using mandolin or vegetable peeler, cut zucchini into long, thin ribbons. Gently toss ribbons with olive oil, Italian seasoning and salt.
- On each skewer, place 1 piece of red onion, fold ribbon of zucchini back and forth on itself to create about 1” wide bundle and slide onto skewer, add another onion piece, a zucchini bundle, a cube of halloumi, a zucchini bundle, an onion, a zucchini bundle, a cube of halloumi, a zucchini bundle, an onion, a zucchini bundle and an onion. Repeat with remaining skewers.
- Grill skewers 4 minutes, flip; continue grilling 3-5 minutes or until nicely marked and warmed through.
- Serve skewers with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Refrigerate leftovers.